Wednesday at the Square
March 15-May 17, 2017
Looking for something free and exciting to do on a Wednesday afternoon? Come to Lafayette Square for a taste of great New Orleans music, food and fun!
Wednesday at the Square, sponsored by the Young Leadership Council of New Orleans, is a series of free outdoor concerts by well-known New Orleans and Louisiana artists that will liven up your spirits and maybe even get you into a dancing mood. Elevated above the crowd on a big sound stage, bands will perform a wide variety of indigenous musical styles, including jazz, rock, funk, swamp pop, Latin rhythms and more. In addition, you will be treated to the sounds of some of New Orleans' most famous brass bands. Bring your own chairs or blankets to sit on the ground, but the front of the stage is reserved for dancing!
All around Lafayette Square are food booths and concessions offering local culinary specialties: everything from entrée items to yummy desserts. And, to wash it all down, a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are also offered for sale.
All food and beverage items must be purchased with tickets that are sold on the grounds. Food and beverage sales are what help sponsor the events and keep them admission-free. No outside food or beverages may be brought in to any of the events.
See the 2017 music lineup below:
- March 15 – Irma Thomas, opened by Jamal Batiste Band
- March 22 – Amanda Shaw & The Cute Guys, opened by Daria and the Hip Drops
- March 29 – March Broussard, opened by Kristin Diable & The City
- April 5 – George Porter, Jr. & Runnin’ Pardners, opened by RumpleSTEELSkin
- April 12 – Jon Cleary and co-headliner John Papa Gros Band
- April 19 – Big Sam’s Funky Nation, opened by Naughty Professor
- April 26 – Flow Tribe, opened by Robin Barnes
- Tuesday, May 2 – Christian Scott aTunde Adjuag, opened by The Tipitina’s Interns
- May 3 – Kermit Ruffins and the Barbeque Swingers and co-headliner Marcia Ball Band
- May 10 – PJ Morton, opened by Andrew Duhon Trio
- May 17 – Headliner TBA, opened by Mia Borders
- May 24 – Sweet Crude and co-headliner Tank and the Bangas
Beginning in March and continuing for 12 weeks, every Wednesday will feature two performers, beginning at 5:00 p.m. and usually lasting until 7:00-7:30 p.m. Any rained-out concerts will be rescheduled at the end of the series.
Lafayette Square is located just one block off Poydras Street, between St. Charles Avenue and Camp Street, opposite the Federal Court buildings. It is within convenient walking distance from all downtown hotels. As an added bonus, local artisans will be selling their work near the Camp Street entrance.
For those who drive to the event, parking is available in nearby garages or on the adjacent streets where there are parking meters. Paid, on-street parking ends at 7:00 p.m., and meters accept both cash and credit/debit cards. Pets are allowed in the square during the concerts, provided they are on a leash no longer than six feet at all times.
For more information about the Wednesday at the Park Concert Series call 504-585-1500, email feedback@WednesdayAtTheSquare.com or visit their website at www.wednesdayatthesquare.com.