Shop Tax Free
Louisiana Tax Free Shopping provides refunds of Louisiana state sales taxes, and in some cases, local sales tax. Tax refunds are available only from retailers who are members of LTFS. International visitors with a valid foreign passport and roundtrip international travel ticket of fewer than 90 days duration are eligible for a sales tax refund.
At time of purchase, international visitors are charged full price including taxes. The international visitor must show a valid international ID or passport when making a purchase and make the request for a tax refund voucher. Vouchers and sales slips must be retained in order to receive a full refund.
To redeem LTFS vouchers, visitors must present:
- Vouchers with associated sales receipts
- Foreign passport with current U.S. visa, if applicable
- Roundtrip international ticket of less than 90 days duration
Visitors not eligible for a tax refund:
- U.S. resident aliens residing in the U.S. and elsewhere
- Foreign students residing in the U.S.
- U.S. citizens living in another country
- Dual citizens (U.S. and another country)
- Visitors in the U.S. for more than 90 days
There are two sites in New Orleans where international visitors can get sales tax refunds:
- Louis Armstrong International Airport
- The Riverwalk Shopping Center (located on Poydras Street at the Mississippi River)
Visitors can also receive sales tax refunds via U.S. Mail to:
Louisiana Tax Free Shopping Commission
P.O. Box 20125
New Orleans, LA 70141
Refunds under $500 will be made in cash. Refunds over $500 will be issued by check and mailed to the visitor at his home address.
In the case of Canadians only, a driver’s license or birth certificate may be substituted for a passport. In the case of sailors, a shore pass, which contains their passport number, may be substituted for a foreign passport.
For more information on Louisiana Tax Free Shopping, call (504) 467-0723 or visit: www.louisianataxfree.com.